Thursday 14 May 2009

Exercise 3 - 1:1 Section

The aim of this exercise was to get a sense of scale of the building in terms of wall widths and heights with thought going into the connection of each floor to ceiling to the above/below level. I chose to do the basement and the 3 others in my group did the other 3 levels of the building. There wasn't enough space for all the drawings to be laid out and viewed so I only have images of my own section.



There were problems where my basement ceiling met the ground floor because the stairs were right on the edge of the footpath and height resolution wasn't exact, but approximately where an entrance should have been. The important factor was the joining of the wall to the ground floor. Through research, my partner and I found that reinforcing the two structures was the way to go with precast concrete construction.






There should have been more waterproofing around the entire strip footing to prevent any water ingress and an additional agricultural pipe under where the floor slab meets the footing. Though recognising that the need for the damp proof course and pipe was an important part of this exercise.

No comments: