Tuesday 8 April 2008

Parti Drawings 1


Before completing the official STRUCTURE drawing, I drew a draft and with the help of both my partner and tutor I was able to recognise which walls were load-bearing and which walls weren't. There is also the addition of the columns to show the importance of the studio space that Utzon has designed for himself.


Final Structure drawing.
In the top left corner of the drawing Utzon's studio is visible. It is a space of openess, where light permeates around each opening into the interior. This is visible in the drawing as the columns do not form solid lines but parts of a wall, which are crucial in the design of this villa.


This is the original Geometry drawing that I completed. I separated the 3 main areas and used a heavier line weight to firstly show that the house is made up of these parts. Then I added in the other walls of the house using variations of lighter line weights. There is a hierarchy of line weights divided throughout the drawing starting from main areas of the villa and then moving towards important spaces.


Since the whole villa consisted of just squares and rectangles and I needed a new way of representing the drawing to show better understanding of its Geometry. Then, with the assistance of my tutor, I added a modular theme where I recognised the similar sizes and shapes of the villa and presented this as a form of "dimensioning".